Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Making Digital Art

With a digital camera, the right computer program, and some spare time, you can create custom art for your home. For the examples in this blog post, I used a Nikon SLR camera and Adobe Photoshop to make my edits and both photos were taken in my backyard. This Oriole was flying around the yard and I managed to snap a photo of it while resting in the tree. Using the Poster filter in Photoshop, I quickly changed this average photo into an interesting cartoonish piece of art. Our quaint garden offers some beautiful cabbage heads and cucumbers at the moment. I snapped a closeup photo of the cabbage in full shade. The first example illustrates what can be accomplished with bold colors and the Sketch: Bas Relief filter in Photoshop. This is a fun touch for any contemporary or modernly decorated home. The second example transforms the image into black and white with strong contrast. I included an example of photoshop at the end to illustrate which tabs I selected to change the contrast on the black and white photo. Each of the examples can be printed at home with a decent photo printer, or sent off to a photo printing company such as Shutterfly. There are also options to order prints on canvas, turning your handmade creation into a true one-of-a-kind on your wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment